Comcast, Netgear, Router Problems
3 weeks of pulling my hair out. I Finally solved my Router Problem, at least for now.
After trying 2 new Modems and 3 new routers,(I returned all except the Modem and my original Router).
I finally got my router a Netgear WNDR3700v3 working. I still don’t know what caused the problem.
Maybe someone Reading this can figure out why or what happened. Here is my setup.
Main Desktop Computer Hard Wired to Router
OS Dual Boot Mint Linux and Windows 7.
Motorola SB6121 Modem (Replaced with a Zoom 5341J)
Netgear WNDR3700v3 N600 Dual Band Router
Xfinity Internet (Comcast Cable)
Desktop computer in another room windows 7
Samsung Tab2 Android
Laptop Linux Mint
3 or 4 weeks ago My main desktop computer started acting up. I was having a hard time connecting
to the Internet on my main computer running windows 7 . When I did Get connected after resetting
Modem, Router, and Rebooting the Computer, the connection was very slow and I would sometimes
loose the connection. I could boot into Linux and everything worked fine. My local Lan always worked,
and I did not have a problem with it or any of those computers connecting. To the local Lan. The problem
was windows7 connecting to the internet through the router. Hooked direct to the Modem bypassing the
router everything worked . Problem kept Getting worse. I could hardly get a Internet connection when I
booted into windows. No problem with Linux. Sometimes Windows would say No connection but I would
be connected. other times it would say connected but no Internet. The whole time Linux and the local
Network (Lan) was OK. Only problem was Windows 7 getting a Internet connection through the Router.
Because of alleged problems with Motorola SB6121 Modems I bought a new Zoom 5341J Modem
which BTW seems to be faster and no dropped connections. I still had the same problem Connecting to
Internet when booting into windows 7. I tried everything I could think of even Trying 3 Different new Netgear
Routers. I got most of the problem solved, see this link in Netgear Forum forum thread 87122 But then my
Samsung Tab could not connect because I had no way of changing its wireless card DNS. I was about to
Reflash the router firmware using a DD_WRT Firmware or else Junk the Router. Out of desperation I thought
I would Reset the Router again to factory spec’s for the upteenth time. This time I used the 30 second Power
On and Off reset with the reset button depressed, 3 times making sure that all was cleared. Then I changed
the routers Password and set it to use the computers Mac Address and IPv6.
I then turned on power to the modem and waited for it to cycle, then I turned on the router and waited for it
to cycle Then I booted up to windows 7. Everything is now back to normal and working like it was before
all of this started. I do believe that This Router has a problem with windows 7 or maybe Comcast. I do know that several people have had the same problem using windows 7 and their problems started 3 or 4 weeks ago. Maybe a windows 7 update or something with Comcast I really dont know what the problem was. I am just
glad it is working now.